Regional branches provide opportunities for colleagues to address social development concerns relevant to the peoples of their particular part of the world. Branches sponsor conferences, share research and concept papers, and engage in collaborative efforts at local and regional levels.
The European Branch was formed at the Heidelberg Conference in 1989 with representatives from 14 countries. For more information contact Dr. Piotr Salustowicz at eurobranch@ICSD.info. Preliminary information on the 2010 Symposium will be found at: European Symposium 2010. The flier for the 2010 conference can be found at European Conference Flier. The 2009 newsletter can be viewed at European Newsletter 2009. The 2008 newsletter can be viewed at European Newsletter 2008. The 2006 newsletter is available at European Newsletter 2006.
ICSD European conference 2014
Details from Gordna
Develop the tabs as follows and include the relevant material
Latin American Branch
At the 13th International Symposium of the IUCISD (previous name, Inter University Consortium for International Social Development) at Mumbai in January 2004, it was decided to constitute the regional body for the Asia-Pacific region.
The ICSD Asia Pacific Regional Branch is an operational arm of ICSD at a regional level.
The main mission of the branch is to further the aims and objectives of the ICSD within the Asia -Pacific region. It works towards achieving the following ICSD goals:
- Expand and refine the knowledge base of social development within the international context.
- Clarify the ethics, roles and skills required by social development practitioners.
- Assist in the development of educational programs and curriculum content based on the social development approach.
- Direct effort and resources to enable participation of both economically developing and developed countries in achieving social development goals.
- Sustain a process of mutual consultation and cooperative action among individual and institutional members.
- Work toward the creation and maintenance of peace and social justice internationally, nationally and locally.
- Assist members in economically developing and developed countries in the design, implementation and evaluation of social development projects.
For detailed history and activities of the branch during 2004 to 2016, please visit: Please link the article in the PDF format.
The ICSD Asia Pacific Regional Branch elects an Executive Committee to manage and guide its work, which consists of a:
Chairperson: Asok Kumar Sarkar, India
Secretary: Sirojudin Abbas, Indonesia
Treasurer: Mubarak Ali, Australia
Member at Large: Swapan Garain, India
Member at Large: Miyuki Inaba, Japan
Member at Large: Habibur Rahman, Bangladesh
Member at Large: Sarath Gamlath, Sri Lanka
Member at Large: Tajeswani Patil, Australia
Two are vacant
Executive committee members serve for four years.
The executive Committee is tasked with providing vision, engagement and monitoring of:
- regional ICSD aims and objectives;
- regional ICSD programs;
- building ICSD awareness and capacity in the region;
- building ICSD membership;
- ICSD networking and linkage opportunities;
- all administration, audit and financial oversight;
- capital and other ICSD Asia Pacific Regional Branch funding requirements;
News and Events
- The branch is soliciting proposals from universities/organisations to host the 7th biennial conference in 2018. If interested please contact Manohar Pawar (email@example.com) or Asok Kumar Sarkar (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The branch will launch its official journal entitled Community and Social Development Journal to be published by Sage Publication in 2018. Watch for further details/announcements.
- The branch successfully organised the sixth biennial conference on ‘Social Work - Social Development and Sustainable Development Goals’, which was hosted by the Dept of Sociology, University of Peradeniya, Kandy, Sri Lanka, from 29-30 September 2016. For details visit: https://arts.pdn.ac.lk/socio/events/conference.php
- ICSDAP Presidential awards
During the sixth conference, the third ICSDAP Presidential Distinguished Senior Scholar award was conferred on Prof. Vijayan K. Pillai, School of Social Work, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas, USA and Editor, Social Development Issues, in recognition of his most outstanding contribution to the advancement of social development school of thought in social work and social welfare research, education and practice in the Asia Pacific region and beyond.
The second ICSDAP Presidential Distinguished Practitioner award was conferred on Mr. Ganesh Velautham, founder of the Shivan Foundationand and Shivan New Labour Union, and Reverend Pastor Kumar Rasiah, Child Rights Executive Director for Fridsro, for their outstanding contribution to welfare and social development of children and communities in Sri Lanka.
Each fully paid member of the ICSD from the Asia Pacific region is a member of the branch. No additional fees, or charges will be levied by the ICSD Asia Pacific Regional Branch to its members.
According to the option chosen, members have access to Social Development Issues journal.
The branch organizes biennial regional conferences generally in even years.
The details of previous conferences are listed below.
- “Globalisation, Development and Human Security in the Asia Pacific Region”, hosted by the Faculty of Social Administration, Thammasat University, from 18-20 October 2006.
- “Social Development and Transition: Paths for Local and Global Partnerships”, hosted by the Department of Social Work, Kadambari Memorial College of Science and Management. from 25-28 November 2008, at Dhilikhel Lodge Resort, Kabre, near Kathmandu, Nepal.
- “Vision for Social Development in the Globalised Asia: Commonality and Diversity”. hosted by Seoul National University, Seoul, 10-12 November 2010.
- “Envisioning New Social Development Strategies Beyond Millennium Development Goals”, hosted by the Ministry of Social Affairs, Republic of Indonesia, Yogyakarta, from 27 -30 June 2012.
- “Human Development and Sustainability: Challenges and Strategies for the Asian Century”, hosted by the the Department of Social Work, Visva-Bharati, Sriniketan, West Bengal, India, January 16-18, 2015.
- ‘Social Work - Social Development and Sustainable Development Goals’, hosted by the Dept of Sociology, University of Peradeniya, Kandy, Sri Lanka, from 29-30 September 2016. For details visit: https://arts.pdn.ac.lk/socio/events/conference.php
Branch activity related publications
Through the ICSDAP branch activities the following social development related literature has been published.
Midgley, J. and Pawar, M. (2017). Future direction in social development. Basignstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Pawar, M. (2014). Water and Social Policy. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Pawar, M. (2010). Community Development in Asia and the Pacific, New York: Routledge.
Pawar, M. and Cox, D., (eds.) (2010). Social Development: Critical themes and perspectives. New York: Routledge.
Sarkar, A, K. and Ghosh, P. K (2017). Human Development and Sustainability: Challenges and Strategies (ed.). New Delhi: Atlantic Publishers.
Mohan, B. (2009). Professor David Cox lecture on international social work, The entropy of developmentalism: modernity’s challenge to human dignity. Journal of Comparative Social Welfare, Vol. 25, No. 2, June 2009, pp. 173–184.
Pawar, M. (2015). Action Research on Social Work Knowledge Creation and Dissemination from the Global South. British Journal of Social Work, 45 (4), 1357 – 1364, doi: 10.1093/bjsw/bcv043
Whitford, T. and Prunckun, H. (2017). Discreet, Not Covert: Reflections on Teaching Intelligence Analysis in a NonGovernment Setting, Salus Journal, 5 (1), p. 48-61.
Guest edited special issue
Pawar, M. (guest editor), (2008). Interventions in Disasters, a special issue of the Asia Pacific Journal of Social Work and Development Vol. 18 (2).